Saturday 18 April 2015

Record Store Day 2015

After four or five years of heading up to Rough Trade in London I decided to keep it local for Record Store Day (that's kind of the point after all) and so I headed to South in Southend.
The queue at South, 7am this morning
The benefits of this decision were immediately apparent when a) I got an extra hour in bed and b) I was 4th in the queue when I arrived. The usual queue banter took place (seems record collectors are pretty much decent folk wherever you go) while we waited for the store to open, which happened at bang on 8 o'clock. Now, South isn't the largest shop in the world, which brings me to my only gripe of the day - once the doors were opened everyone poured in, leading to a bit of a scrum around the albums and making it impossible for me to get to the 7" singles once I'd finished at the 12"s. So maybe next year they could manage the volume of people in the shop a bit more - that's one thing that Rough Trade has managed to get right over the years.

My 2015 Record Store Day haul
Anyway, moan over. Aside for the Johnny Marr 7" that had gone by the time I reached the counter I got pretty much everything that was on my list, with a free book thrown in too. Here's the run down, listed in roughly the order in which I targeted them.

  • Run The Jewels - Bust No Moves; clear 12"
  • Jon Hopkins - I Remember (Nils Frahm remix); white vinyl 10"
  • Hot Chip - Atomic Bomb (John Talabot remix); 12"
  • Sinkane / The Charlatans - Emile; yellow vinyl 7"
  • Serge Gainsbourg - Serge Gainsbourg et Le Cinema; 
  • Foo Fighters - Songs From The Laundry Room; 10"
  • Kode9 & The Spaceape - Ghost Town; gold vinyl 7"
  • Courtney Barnett - Kim's Caravan; 12"
  • Jay Z / Ghostface Killah - U Don't Know / Whip You With A Strap; 7"
  • Gram Parsons / The Lemonheads - Brass Buttons; pink vinyl 7"
  • Warpaint / Daughter - Feeling Alright / Winter; 12"
  • Toy & Jane Weaver - Fell From The Sun 7"
  • Free book: Strange Requests and Comic Tales from Record Shops by Graham Jones
Update: On the Monday after Record Store Day I went across to Rough Trade and picked up a couple more things, namely:
  • Metronomy - Boy Racers; Ferrari Red 12"
  • St Paul & The Broken Bones - Sing A Simple Song; Albama-shaped burgundy vinyl

No comments:

Post a Comment