Thursday 20 March 2014

Recommended music: 'Close To The Glass' by The Notwist


Despite the fact that The Notwist were formed back in 1989, and this is their sixth album, until about a month ago I don't think I'd heard any of their music. If this album is anything to go by then clearly I've made a terrible mistake, as this is exactly the kind of electronic-indie hybrid that I like to listen to.

The track that dragged me into the world of The Notwist was 'Kong', and it's still one of my favourites on the album. It's full of energy, ripping along at a cracking pace with some surprising strings at the end, and reminds me a bit of Grandaddy and some other things that I can't quite put my finger on (but which are all great). Here's the video:



The other tracks range from the full-on electronica of 'Lineri' to the lo-fi acousticness of 'Steppin' In', but whatever they're doing they always doing it really well. The title track, which you can hear below, is a great example of what they can do, mixing crunching electronics with acoustic guitars, crystal-clear vocals and some mournful atmospheric sounds.



Very much an essential purchase, and while you go off to buy this I resolve to go and sift through their back catalogue.

'Close To The Glass' is out now on City Slang Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment